Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bend it Like Beckham (2002)


I remember that this used to have some kind of cult following. I didn't bother to watch it because I thought it was about gymnastics or something (as the title suggests) and besides, I didn't even know that this "Beckham" was an English footballer at the time. The first thing you'll notice about this movie is that it's got lots of minorities in the story, automatically meaning that there is a copious injection of racial issues. Next, the main character is female but it is not a chick flick, meaning that the theme ties closely into abrasive feminist issues. Now then, with this touchy race thing on the right side, and this controversy/oppression issue on the left, you get a movie about a bunch of ridiculous emotional people arguing with each other. Oh yeah theres some soccer in this too yeah.

Rating: I don't know...I dunno what I saw.