Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)

Many people think this is an inspiring movie about hard work. I think it's a movie about an idiot that happened to claw his way out of poverty through sheer willpower. I find it curious that out of all the choices this guy had in life, he chose the hardest path possible. Out of greed, he chose to be a lowly commodity salesman, out of ambition, he chose to take on this "competitive internship at Dean Witter", and out of pride, he chose to take care of a 6 year old kid all at the same time. In the face of failure, he stubbornly persisted by making cold calls at work, fighting for space in the homeless shelter, and washing his power suit in the sink.

The moral of the story is supposed to be that persistence pays off. That those who work hard will make it in the end. Or is it? I think this is a story of pure luck. He was delusional. He spent too much money, took on too much risk, ignored the costs of living. He didn't even know about paying taxes! He sought salvation in the most unlikely of places and by pure luck, found it. People who watch this movie should be given a disclaimer that black people do not necessarily have to go through all this shit to make the American Dream and that CEOs are not all easygoing white people. Or are they? Actually, I wouldn't know.

Rating: 65%
In this movie, Will Smith runs all over the city of San Francisco. He does a lot of running.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a survivor living in New York City. I am broadcasting on all AM frequencies. I will be at the South Street Seaport everyday at mid-day, when the sun is highest in the sky. If you are out there... if anyone is out there... I can provide food, I can provide shelter, I can provide security. If there's anybody out there... anybody... please. You are not alone.
I CAN FIX THIS. I CAN SAVE YOU.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Erf.

*lights cigar*