Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Debt Management Seminar

Whenever I am on campus I grab a school newspaper. "The California Aggie" it's called. While flipping through the day's articles, I noticed that there was a Debt Management Seminar scheduled in Olson for that afternoon.
Now of course, I am in no way in debt. If I was, I probably wouldn't have time to post in this online blog. In fact, I don't even know what it's like to be in the red, but I was just curious as to why people become indebted and what these people do about it. So I went.
I walked in late. A guy was was showing powerpoint slides on a projector and talking about how credit cards work. I sat down near the back of the classroom and had a look around. To my right was a big cluster of black people. African Americans, I figured, had a social history of financial unsoundlyness. In front of me were some of those funny looking Asian guys, well dressed in fabby style, chunky faces, with hair sharper than a cactus. This was also not surprising to me. There were a few Asian women in the front of the room as well, though small in stature, they commanded a great interest in personal finance, as evinced by the amount of notes they were taking.

The talk really wasn't very interesting. It could be summarized in 2 sentences. "Stop spending so much money" and "Don't overuse your credit card". The presenter was a black fellow in a sharp suit who looked very much like OJ Simpson and identified himself as a "debt consulting agent". I could be much more racist but...that's enough of that.

No comments: