Saturday, July 14, 2007

1408(2007)


"This is nine! Nine! This is nine! Nine! This is ten! Ten! We have killed your friends! Every friend is now dead! This is six! Six!"

1408 is above the standard of most horror movies. Just watching the trailer scared me. Yes, I know. But it preyed on the mental weakness, exploited the expectations I had, and broke down the mental self-defenses I constructed. You watch this movie, you are in that room with John Cusack, a man being toyed with by a sentient hotel room that has a penchant for mentalist torture.
The hotel room controls space, time, dimension. It knows all about you and uses your senses against you, depriving you of your wants and quashing your compelling desires. When you believe you find a solution, it disappears. When you believe you have found a defense, it is taken away. It taunts you with transient comforts, hounds you and inflicts sordid pains. I never thought I'd see a horror movie this well done. I give 1408 TEN SKULLS!

Just one thing, what is Samuel Jackson doing here? He didn't even yell anything. This is a misplacement of chraracter talent, and I would find this alternative to be acceptable.

Visual Stimulation: 95%
Acting Talent: 85%
Fear Induced: TEN SKULLS!!

No comments: